At Renshinjuku we pay a lot of attention to Kiri Kaeshi. Some of our kendoka have undoubtedly experienced that Kiri Kaeshi is not just meant to tire them out, but that it has clear and tangible goals in improving your kendo.
I composed the following list of ten benefits of Kiri Kaeshi:
- Your techniques becomes faster and fiercer
- The power of your strikes increases
- Your physical condition will improve
- Movement of arms becomes more fluid
- Movement of the the body becomes lighter and you acquire souplesse
- Your handling of the sword becomes more efficient
- Balance in the body improves
- Your perception and sight become keener
- Your perception of depth (maai) improves
- Te no uchi becomes stronger
To begin further study of the various forms of Kiri Kaeshi I suggest the following YouTube video (shown below).